Tuesday, February 24, 2009

FAT Tuesday - what's the idea?

Blogging is in itself somewhat presumptuous.  By posting, I assume that what I have to write is worth reading.  I do.  However, I don't believe that you have to agree with what I have written, or that what I have written is the least bit definitive.  Its nothing but a start.

The idea behind Lent is that it is a time of austerity, the removal of things that may distract from the matter at hand - preparing for Christ's Passion on Good Friday, and anticipating his Resurrection on Easter Sunday.  Whether or not you subscribe to those Christian beliefs, you can't escape their historical, philosophical, and cultural impact - both good and bad.

If the basic premise of Lent is to encourage adherents to pay attention, or increase their focus, then that is in and of itself a good thing.  We would all do well with some of that.  So, as I pondered what I would do, or not do, for Lent - the idea of giving up something - especially good stuff like chocolate, or red wine, or even Facebook didn't seem like it would have its desired effect - rather the opposite, I would probably just get grumpy.  So, I have taken some license with the idea and chosen instead to DO something, and that is write.

A sidebar here.  I am coming to terms with the idea that I am a writer. ( Gack, even writing that down gives me the willies).  The odd thing is, I don't write.  In the words of a great friend " I am not obedient to my urge to create".  So, in fact, to write for Lent is giving something up - my apathy, and my insecurity.

So, the writing.  I have chosen 40 words, one for each day ( Lent doesn't include Sundays - a nice little loophole that).  The words have all got weight for me, and are words that I have been meaning to get to understanding better, and maybe even incorporating into my life.  However, they come in no particular order, or with any particular agenda.  I can't even say beyond that what my plan is for each day other than to tap out at least a couple of paragraphs on my thoughts and ideas.

Once written, and hopefully read - It would be great if conversations started and new ideas were added.  I am not too interested in debate and devil's advocates as I am the broadening and deepening of understanding and appreciation of the concepts and ideas as they are presented and discussed.  That's not to say you can't say I am wrong, but there is little interest in engaging in intellectual jousting back and forth in the comments.

I have no idea if this will work.  I may have a readership of one - me ( I really do admire my own work).  We'll see.  


3 comments:

  1. For lent I am giving up telling other people what they should give up for lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. It got me thinking about what others are doing for lent, so I did a twitter search. Here's some results:

    "gave up Facebook for Lent."

    "I am giving up French fries for lent"

    "i've decided to detach myself from twitter for lent"

    "My girlfriend's going vegan for lent"

    Real-time results here: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=lent

    Added your blog to the RSS reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding for Lent is one of my favourite things. I haven't decided what I will add myself but I am intrigued by the idea of adding writing. I will follow your Lenting with interest to see what God brings.

    I think you're supposed to end up closer to the cross than when you started. Good luck with that.

    A.

    ReplyDelete